What Are You Paying Your Summer Interns?
MSEC has conducted an annual study to collect starting pay rates for Student/Summer Interns since 2003. What began as a small study for strictly manufacturers has grown into a multi-industry report that displays the starting rate of pay for technical and administrative summer interns. The 2016 edition of the study includes responses from 43 organizations. Out of those 43 respondents, 30 organizations offered paid summer internships. Technical hires include engineering, computer science and mathematics. Administrative hires include human resources, finance, and information systems.
A few highlights from the 2016 study:
- The overall average starting rate of pay for all levels of college for technical interns is $19.34 and for administrative interns it is $14.23, which is down 8 percent from last year.
- The overall average starting rate of pay for college-level technical interns increased 12 percent from the 2015 rate of $17.26.
- Starting rates of pay for technical interns in their college junior through graduation years increased the greatest by 21 percent from the 2015 study.
- Students in their master’s program in both the technical and administrative fields had the highest starting rate of pay out of all interns in their respective classification.
- Manufacturing industry technical intern starting rates of pay for all levels of college is $18.65 and $18.46 for administrative interns.
- Non-manufacturing industry technical intern starting rates of pay for all levels of college is $21.16 and $13.78 for administrative interns.
- Government industry technical intern starting rates of pay for all levels of college is $16.97 and $13.04 for administrative interns.
The final report for the student/summer intern study can be found here.